Friday, December 16, 2011

Skase

Hello.

It's been a while!.. Ha, sorry about that. I doubt many of you really check back daily, or even weekly with high expectations and hopes of finding a spanking new blog post. But if you do, then I imagine that your thoughts would go something like this:
*wake up*
"Hmm, what a marvelous dream that was... If only t'were real. Alas, Earl hasn't posted on his blog in fortnights. Oh... if only."
*gets outta bed to go to computer(or maybe you check it in bed? creep.)*
*gets onto earliv.blogspot.com*
....
"OH HAPPY DAY!"

If this is you, I apologize, for many reasons..

Anyways, here I am again. Back to the bloggin world. I can't say that my visits to this realm will be often, but I will try my best to make them substantial in some way or another.
SO, here we go..
Life, is good. Can't complain. Great friends, great family, that's all ya need right?

Last night was a free concert downtown at the Gallivan center. I almost literally froze my foot off. Lately my middle-left(driver-side) toe has had poor circulation. I know this because sometimes I can feel it start to die, and I look down at my feet (I was next to you and you were right there next to me and I said "GO!"..(that song just popped into my head when I typed that)) and that toe alone will be DEAD WHITE and all of my other appendages will have NEC*. Creepy. The concert was awesome, though. Anberlin decided to do a free show, just because they love us Salt Lake City-ans.
Isn't that grand?

Other than that, my life is pretty much clockwork. Okay, not really. It just feels that way because a lot of the time I'm bored, and that word and  the word 'clockwork' are connected in my mind.
K
Now to the title of this blog post:
'Skase'
This word is greek for, Blow up.
That's what my mind was just doing.
I'll tell you the tale of why this was the case.

So there I was..
eating Lucky Charms for breakfast.
My mind began to wander and it came upon a topic which I shall not discuss in the post(if you reaaaally want to know, ask me in person or over text or something). That topic led me to this topic that truly made my head want to Skase.
At this point in the story, I finished my breakfast, and continued to the family room to drum on my Invader drum pad.
I began drumming and my mind continued upon the tangent it had reached during LCT**
Then I went into my room..

Then I needed to go to the restroom.

Come on, who doesn't occasionally ponder things of depth whilst on the can?
Then, after taking care of all the necessary hygeine(sp?) things, I left my room,

 with the intent to-

blog. (For some reason, this picture, and the one I had of Anberlin, don't want to fully appear..sorry)

To preface this part lemme just say a few things:
 I plan on serving an LDS*** mission soon.
A friend of mine in the Utah band just had her missionary come home!
My good buddy Aric has been getting.. well shafted from some women (this'll come into play here soon.)

Enough preface-ing.
My mind hit the topic of girls waiting for missionaries.
My stance on this topic for the longest time has been that girls shouldn't wait for missionaries; and this is why..
I always thought that the girls needed to make sure that the guy they were waiting for was the one that they truly wanted to be with, and in order to have this decision be made for sure was to date other guys while their missionary is gone, that way, when he gets back, if he's still her favorite, then it's what's meant to be.
Some things about that opinion still ring true to me, but for the most part,
My opinion has changed.

Disclaimer: NO, I'm not posting this saying that this is how things should be in my life or in anyone's life. Everyone's decision is their own. This is merely my opinion on the subject because it seems to frequently come up nowadays.

My opinion has changed for a lot of reasons. First off, I know how this looks: "He's just changing his opinion because now he's the missionary leaving and he doesn't want to lose his girlfriend to some other guy while he's gone."
Regardless of how I feel or what I think is going to happen with my life while I'm serving, I changed my mind for what I believe to be logical reasons. (I try not to make decisions based soley upon my emotions.)
So here's a few reasons why.
(In no particular order)
  • Assuming the girl is waiting for her missionary in the manner described above; what happens with all the other guys she goes out with while the missionary is gone? When he gets back, she'll probably want to be with him, yes? So the fellows that she dated while the missionary was gone just get tossed, quite immediately. How is this fair? Regardless of whether or not anything physical happened between them, the emotional damage to the guy is completely unjustified. He was kinda used.
  • From the missionary's point of view, and from the guys on the other end's point of view I guess; they're just back-up plans. If things with the missionary don't work out, then look! How convinient that she's already dating someone else (back-up plan-ed). If things don't work with all the other guys and then the missionary returns home, oh cool! All the other guys didn't work out so I guess that makes the missionary the back-up plan.
  • Point is, if you know who you want to be with then why date other people?
 LJ, the girl whose missionary just returned, waited the full two years, and I'm happy for her and her missionary.
Aric, my buddy, has been treated like crap from a few girls that have been fake-waiting, and that's not cool.

I dunno, that's just how I feel.

Anyways, I might post again pretty soon-I might not-but I hope that all of you people who read this, have a wonderful holiday season. It's one of my favorite times of the year. I'm not a fan of cold weather, but it does have a kind of beauty once snow starts to fall.
Good things about December in Utah:

The Lights at Temple Square
Cuddling up for warmth
Giving
Receiving
Spending time with loved ones during the break
School winding down
Bowl games
Chillin' inside with friends playing games, watching movies
Playing in the snow
Lots.

Have a Crazy Cool Christmas, e'rybody.

Earl out

*NEC-Normal Earl Color
**LCT-Lucky Charms Time
***-Latter-Day-Saint

3 comments:

  1. Dang CJ, I think I read the first two of your blog posts then forgot all about it--oops!!

    I think you make valid points there. People should be honest with themselves and others about what they want. Sometimes we don't know what we want but that needs to be made clear, too. And sometimes, people change their minds; that's okay. Again, timely forthright honesty is necessary. That might not be the all-purpose salve of relationship issues involving missionaries but I think it would certainly save people from a lot of time and grief. Another part of this problem, in my opinion, is that Mormons tend to be doing all of this dating and courting while they're still pretty young. Nothing wrong with that in itself (heck I got married at 21) but I think a lack of maturity in general (certainly not all) cases can lead to a person being more sheepish or flippant about said honesty issue. Well that's my rambling two cents' worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang dude, LDS culture is super fast with the dating/courtship stuff

    ReplyDelete